Thursday, September 16, 2010

Totses - the Journey...


...not the destination. Since I've started posting my Totses (pronounced "tote-SEE") on Poladora, my Etsy boutique, I've gotten a lot of favorable feedback. But I thought that since the item is so unique (I know, I know, how unique can a tote be?...), that I would show you some of the process so that you can see what goes into making one. You'll also see why they take so long.

Almost everything about the Totse (combination TOTe and purSE), is different than traditional thinking - but that's who I am. I like to break the rules in my creations and the Totse does that. First, no two Totses will ever be exactly the same. So, if you're looking to buy something unique to carry but you don't mind seeing someone else with it, then buy a Coach or Vera Bradley. Both great in their own way - high quality, beautiful patterns, soft and quilted... but, if I'm going to buy something relatively expensive and unique in some way, I don't want to see it coming and going down the street while I'm carrying it on my arm. Plus, the Totse is nearly all hand made, except for some seaming.

The first thing I do when creating a Totse, is to select the fabric (I have to love it - it's my rule), for its ability to be texturized, quilted, and/or beaded in some way to accent its personality. Then, I cut a square larger than I need, since I will be "shrinking" the piece as part of the texturizing process. I then attach that fabric to the same size piece of Warm & Natural all cotton unbleached cotton and a piece of texturizing material. So now I have three layers and it's time to begin the slow process of hand embroidering/quilting/beading/whatever prior to shrinking the material.

These pictures illustrate the stitching and beading process of one of my latest selections - one of the coordinates of a collection by Moda called "Verna". (Don't let the close up fool you - there are tons of flowers on this piece! Yikes!) The top photo shows a flower that is finished next to one that hasn't been started yet.

I will continue this series as I make progress... I hope you're patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment