Friday, June 11, 2010

On a Sad Note...Alzheimer's

I know that blogs are supposed to be upbeat mostly but sometimes there are just things that need to be said.

Alzheimer's Disease is a terrible thing. I have watched two of my most beloved family members suffer through the progression of this horrible illness now and it is just so unfair.

My Grandmother, Paulina, for which my "Poladora" Etsy Boutique is named, as well as this blog, suffered from it and is long passed now - but she's with me in spirit all of the time. She's one of my guardian angels.

Currently, my favorite Aunt Yvonne (my Grandmother's daughter), is suffering from it. Sometimes she knows me and sometimes she doesn't. But I don't care about that as much as I care that she's happy and well cared for. Well, she's both.

My Uncle Otis is a God-send. He's wonderful. I couldn't wish for Yvonne to have anyone more loving by her side at this most difficult time than him. And, I love him for it. But, I also grieve for his own personal pain.

Unfortunately, my aunt just failed a memory test that would have gotten her into a drug trial that offered hope. She only missed by a few points! But, she was having a bad day. And that's how it goes with Alzheimer's - you have good days, and you have bad days. It's only the luck of the draw that helps or hurts on the day the test is scheduled. How unfair!

Well, due to some lingering effects from anesthesia from minor surgery, my Aunt Yvonne may have an opportunity to retake the test in early July. In the meantime, and since you cannot influence the test results in any way, I am planning to simply talk to her more. I'll just keep normal, casual conversation going with her to keep her memory stimulated. If you can think of anything else I can do specifically while talking with her, (within the rules), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment