Thursday, November 4, 2010

Golden Harvest Under Construction...

I spent all day sewing all of the different squares and pieces together to create this finished top (by "finished", I mean it's all sewn together now, whereas in the previous post they were just pieces sitting separately on my design board so I could decide where I wanted each piece to be).

Then, I pinned my mini Pizzazz top to a piece of Warm and Natural all cotton quilt batting (so the fabric would stay smooth while I stitched it to the batting), and then machine stitched all around the piece with a ziz-zag stitch (very tiny), to prevent fraying of the material top while I progressed with my process. I also ran a bead of Fray Check along the zig-zag to further secure the fabric from fraying.

I like to leave a little bit of batting all around the edge for my next step. I will trim it later.
Next step - on to the hand-embroidery of focal features within the focal fabric, using a special gold metallic embroidery thread (Madeira), to match the gold outlining of the print. I'll also do some gold beading in specific areas of the overall piece to make my "Golden Harvest" mini Pizzazz quilt more interesting and unique.







The hand-embroidery and beading will take the longest time in the process - so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment