Saturday, July 10, 2010

What IS Hybridizing?...

It's what creates daylilies like these:

This giant red is a deep blood color when not in bright sun. Somewhat "beefy" (a little taller, larger than most), but still beautiful.



These daylilies actually glow with a neon yellow and orange that creates such a brightness, one would be attempted to look away the first time their eye looks at them in bright sunshine.








The curl-back in this shot of the flower petal is something I enjoy in a good daylily hybrid.






Just look at that ruffled edge! A "breeder" from my breeding stock for ruffled edges, this is a very good daylily to have when trying to hybridize. It has shortness of flower stem, multiple buds and blooms, nice broad flower petals - all good things.



This is an established daylily called "Hope Diamond" and was gifted to me by one of the great hybridizers of the past, Clarence Blocher. I also use this daylily when breeding my own.




Next time, more on how I got started in gardening and hybridizing, and, my two favorite mentors...

No comments:

Post a Comment