Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thriving on Neglect...

Have you ever noticed that the more time and attention you give to a houseplant (especially violets and orchids), the worse they do? Well, that's me.

During my working career, I served one company for over 32 years. (But I'm not that old.) I really did. And, for some of that time, I was the chairman and CEO. But even before that, I spent most of my time as an executive officer or manager in some capacity.

My point is that I felt that I had to look my very best every day. After all, I was to serve as an example to others, as well as "dress the part". Or so I thought.

Since I've been home this past year, I have come to "neglect" myself in strange ways. For example, I had all of my hair cut off. I previously had it colored, but my hair is baby-fine and it finally took its toll. My hair began to break and fall out. Out of frustration, I had my hairdresser cut me a "pixie". Of course I'm dating myself again and I keep trying to convince you that I'm not that old... I guess nowadays, they call my cut a "chop". BTW, it's gray now too. Geeze.

All those hours, all that pain, all that time... I guess I wouldn't really call having my hair less fussy neglectful. But I thought it helped me make my point. Now that I've entered the world of working from home and doing what I love (creating things soon to be placed on Etsy), I realize how unimportant some things really are. I now know that I would rather spend my time making something that will bring someone else joy, than working on my own head of hair. This is all rather strange to me...

But, it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment